Tuesday, August 30, 2011

dear hurricane irene

image via moi

Dear Hurricane Irene,
I'm writing this letter because I'm a bit disappointed.
To be totally honest, I expected more. It's not often we get to experience a major hurricane here on the East Coast. We New Englanders are a bit spoiled when it comes to dangerous weather. We get our fair share of blizzards and heat waves, sure, but it's not often we get to see a full-fledged hurricane.  
Being good hostesses, we were prepared. We braced ourselves for a crazy weekend here. We evacuated our homes. We bought thousand dollar generators. We made 5am runs to home depot. We taped and boarded our windows, expecting 100 mph winds. And we watched the news expectedly, waiting for your arrival.   
But by the time you got to us, you just fizzled out...  
This was not the exciting weekend I had planned for us. And to make matters worse, you were a bit annoying. You flooded our streets, houses, and parking lots. You blocked our roads with fallen trees. You even knocked down a few power lines. I admit, it made for a few cool photos. But that was about it. 
So I guess what I'm trying to say is, next time you promise us a category 4 hurricane, please deliver.  
Yours Truly,
Connecticut

P.S. For pictures of the wreckage, check my twitter page @JUSTjennabrooke.

No comments:

Post a Comment